I’m delighted to show you the latest Sufu Marketing website build for our client Blue…
When I get approached by a client about how much a website build would cost for their business my first response is to explain there are two basic routes they might consider.
The first is a fantastic option…if you have the time and the budget. A fully customised, designed from their brief, feature-rich site built to meet their exacting needs and brand for a truly unique and well-built website, and depending on the complexity of your requirements, you should be thinking of spending anything between £1,500 and £150,000 for its design and development.
The second option is often better suited to new business start-ups, sole traders, SMEs. A largely customisable WordPress theme, built on the WordPress CMS, feature-rich site built for a fraction of the cost and in a fraction of the time, this should never cost you any more than £1,000.
There is no right or wrong solution to your website build choice, the important thing is to choose a route that suits your budget, timescales and requirements for a web presence.
So what are the benefits for a small or new business to choosing a WordPress theme built website over customised design?
- Cost; WordPress is the world’s most popular open-source content management system. Best of all, it’s free! There are no expensive tie-ins to custom-built systems.
- Ease of use; WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is simple and can be done quickly. Because the technology is so straight forward, time spent on managing the website is greatly reduced.
- Array of functions; the global community of WordPress developers are constantly creating a vast array of templates, plug-ins and associated services which are available to use on your website– if you want to add an event calendar, twitter feed etc… WordPress makes this possible with plug-ins most of which are free or very reasonably priced.
- Control; You don’t need to wait for your designer to make simple changes to your website, you can manage almost every aspect of your site yourself and from anywhere – WordPress is browser based so you can login from any Internet connected computer and manage your site.
- Support; Good WordPress themes are well-documented so you can understand how to update them and come with a complete set of source files so if you do need something completely custom, a developer will be able to create it.
- Search Engines; They love WordPress! The code behind WordPress is very clean and simple, making it easy for search engines to read and index a site’s content. In addition, each page, post, and image can have its own meta tag keywords, description, and title, and be optimized for specific keywords, allowing for very precise search engine optimization. You can also use tags to further enhance your search engine optimization efforts.
- Speed; Because designers and developers have already spent months pulling together a theme creating the design options, developing the functionality and testing the theme you can be up and running with a WordPress theme website in days.
Here are a few examples of WordPress themed websites we’ve built for our clients over the past few months: